Re: Window flickering (Was: Question on mini windows)

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Window flickering (Was: Question on mini windows)
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 21:31:10 +0000

On 11 Jan 2008, at 21:26, Fred Kiefer wrote:

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
I patched my version of GNUstep to draw the flickering windows off the
screen and suffered no ill effects.

Yes, the only problem with that is that, if the window is off-screen,
the window manager is under no obligation to decorate it ... so whether
or not it works is window-manager dependent.

That being said, as the common window-managers seem to decorate the
window whether it's off-screen or not, perhaps the best thing to do
would be to create the windows off-screen normally, and have an
NSUserDefault value to tell the backend to do it on-screen so that
people can try that if the off-screen method doesn't work with their
window manager.

That change didn't work well for me using KDE. Looks like the window
manager moves the windows on screen when displaying, so now the windows show up close to the border. This isn't worse than before, so no reason
to take the change back.
Looks like I have to wait for KDE 4 for this to go away.

Well maybe the change I did was not ideal ... the original code waited for the widow to become visible ... on the basis that when the window is visible it must have been fully decorated. The off-screen version obviously can't do that (the window never becomes visible) so it just waits to be reparented. maybe there is something else we could wait for, or perhaps we should just wait an extra few tenths of a second in case the window manage is going to reposition the window in some other way?

Perhaps David's off screen code does a better job and he could take a look and improve things?