Re: install headers for an application

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: install headers for an application
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 13:25:41 +0200

Hi Andreas,
On Wednesday, May 18, 2011 11:56 CEST, Andreas Schik <andreas.schik@web.de>
wrote:

> Hello Sebastian,
> I currently do not consider it a good idea to iclude these two apps into
> the OpenBSD ports tree. While CDPlayer works in general, Burn has not
> undergone maintenance for quite a while, now (lack of time). I don't
> know whether it still works as expected.
> As for CDPlayer, it can handle only those cases where the CD drive is
> directly connected with the sound card. Unfortunately, this is no longer
> the case on newer systems. Here, it is necessary to read the digital
> data from the disk, process it and send it to the sound IF. As there
> exists no easy to use lib for this purpose, I will most probably not
> implement this.
> So, you should consider your plan well. :-)

I've seen both problems, but as CDPlayer works for me, and I want to have a CD
burn program, I'm kind of motivated to try to fix the problem before I import
those Apps. As a maintainer of the port I feel responsible about the user
experience, therefore I usually test a lot, depending on complexity of an app,
before I import it.

After connecting the cable from the CD-ROM drive to the card, I got sound with
CDPlayer. But since this is the same with the openbsd cdio program, its not
worse, so this is a limitation, but otherwise it works fine. Btw, I used
SystemPreferences for CDPlayer, and had to patch it a bit too, to make it work.
When I hopefully get this header problem sorted out, then I planned to send the
patches I have to you, hoping for a new release ;)

With Burn, I also had the problem, I was able to configure it with the
preferences, put contents onto a disk, and then, after clicking the burn
button, it started to use 100% CPU, but did not burn the CD. I planned to look
into that, after I have sorted the CDPlayer problems out. And well, also send
patches to you.

Cheers,
Sebastian