Re: Scrollbar position

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Scrollbar position
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 15:41:56 +0200

Hi,
Hello All,

I am more than certain that the topic of "scrollbar position" (left vs right)
has been beaten to death in the past (I have not been a member of this thread-forum until
just two days ago when I joined, but I can only imagine).

**So I will state it now so everyone knows my position: I think it is pretty
cool that the scrollbars are on the left, in-fact, I don't really have a
problem with it.**
Fine :) given that I can respond.
However,

Is there a way to change them from left to right. A user preference?
Personally, I think this should be an option on Mac OS X as well, but I doubt
that will ever happen. If it was an option on GNUstep then it is something of
which I should be aware.  I am absolutely fine; however, if it is not an option
and this Left Handed Scrollbar is a paradigm that we wish to continue in honor
of NeXTStep/OpenStep (the latter I thought accommodated the platform on which
it ran?) Anyways. Lemme know!
Exactly. OpenStep on Windows did honour Windows and so do we.

You can write a default NSScrollViewInterfaceStyle .

Generally it is a setting thought to be part of a Theme. If you install or create a theme that follows the "CUA" style, like Windows (not only the native windows theme but also the Windows Classic theme from GAP which is pure pixmap based) will set that for you. The same goes for the menu interface style (next / mac / windows).

I guess that on request I can add also a preference in system preferences, but I did not want to pollute it with too many preferences.

Cheers,
  Riccardo