Re: New -base release?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: New -base release?
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 21:27:50 +0100

On 15 Aug 2011, at 21:12, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> Hi,
>
> to get back on this topic. Things look bright at the end of the tunnel, so it
> would be nice to clean up some other small details before a shiny new release.
>
> 1) locale / timezone on OpenBSD and FreeBSD.
> [NSTimeZone systemTimeZone]
> needs to return something sensible... (or all apps will complain at startup)
> One thing to note is that apparently the "new" localtime is supported, but
> the "old" not. I did check this only quickly with David on FreeBSD. Perhaps
> fixing this fixes some other platforms too.
>
> /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Rome: timezone data, version 2, 6 gmt time flags,
> 6 std time flags, no leap seconds, 170 transition times, 6 abbreviation chars
>
> vs.
>
> /etc/localtime.bck: timezone data, old version, 6 gmt time flags, 6 std time
> flags, no leap seconds, 170 transition times, 6 abbreviation chars
>
> (doesn't work)

How do you find the timezone on Free/Open BSD?  What we need for timezone
support is some way to obtain, from the operating system, the correct timezone
name (eg. GB-Eire or Europe/Rome)
There's no standard way to do that, so we already have system-specific code to
get the info via the most common methods, and there's no real reason we can't
add more for other OS's.

> 2) cygwin tmp files directory as shown in my tests
>
> 3) cygwin bundle support, at least with our own libobjc 1.6 (since it works
> with mingw, it should for cygwin too)
>
> I would not consider cygwin blocking

No, cygwin's an unsupported system so cannot be blocking ... but it would be
great if some cygwin user could contribute cygwin specific code to support
those features.