Re: GNUMail crashes when I click OK in the filter dialog

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: GNUMail crashes when I click OK in the filter dialog
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 22:54:37 +0100

> Am 19.03.2017 um 21:36 schrieb Svetlana Tkachenko <svetlana@members.fsf.org>:
>
> I installed gnustep debug symbols packages for Debian Jessie,
> libgnustep-base1.24-dbg libgnustep-gui0.24-dbg
> and the key part of the error message seems to be
> /scratch/packages/gcc/4.9/gcc-4.9-4.9.2/src/libobjc/sendmsg.c: No such file
> or directory.

Ignore this message, it just means you don’t have the source code of gcc, where
your libobjc runtime comes from isn’t installed on your machine. Most likely
you won’t need it.

> 0x00007ffff5a53bf9 in objc_msg_lookup (receiver=0x1e88ef0,
>    op=0x7ffff6ae27c0 <_OBJC_SELECTOR_TABLE+4032>)
>    at /scratch/packages/gcc/4.9/gcc-4.9-4.9.2/src/libobjc/sendmsg.c:448
> 448     /scratch/packages/gcc/4.9/gcc-4.9-4.9.2/src/libobjc/sendmsg.c: No
> such file or directory.
>
> #0  0x00007ffff5a53bf9 in objc_msg_lookup (receiver=0x1e88ef0,
>    op=0x7ffff6ae27c0 <_OBJC_SELECTOR_TABLE+4032>)
>    at /scratch/packages/gcc/4.9/gcc-4.9-4.9.2/src/libobjc/sendmsg.c:448
> #1  0x00007ffff663da1c in -[NSApplication(Private) _targetForAction:window:] (
>    self=0x7ba6f0, _cmd=<optimized out>,
>    aSelector=0x7ffff7d888d0 <_OBJC_SELECTOR_TABLE+5840>, window=0x1e89760)
>    at NSApplication.m:3891

This is the actual line of interest. The application is updating all its menu
items, as it does for each event in the main run loop (or rather, did until a
change I committed a few weeks ago). And to do so it has to find the target for
each menu entry based on the current responder chain. And something goes wrong
while doing this. The most likely scenario is that there is an already released
object in the responder chain and the line number should tell us, which kind of
object the code is trying to inspect. Sadly your version of GNUstep gui seems
to be way out of date. For me the method _targetForAction:window: starts in
line 3913. This leaves me with a blind guess what may be going wrong here. We
first check the views in the window, starting from the first responder, next we
try the window delegate and finally we ask the document controller for a
document for this window and check that. The last point rings a bell, I
remember vaguely a similar issue Riccardo had ages ago with some application
that shouldn’t have a document controller, but still made some calls on that.

Could you please state which version of GNUstep gui you are using and what is
you version of GNUMail?