Issue: GNUstep installation on Ubuntu 16.04

From: Mark Clements
Subject: Issue: GNUstep installation on Ubuntu 16.04
Date: Sun, 14 May 2017 14:37:11 +0000

I am having problems installing GNUstep on Ubuntu 16.04.

I uninstalled all GNUstep packages and cleared /usr/GNUstep and
/usr/local/lib/GNUstep. Then I followed the instructions from
http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/GNUstep_under_Ubuntu_Linux. Running
the test at the end using

make
openapp ./GUITest.app

gave a segmentation fault. I then tried running the test programs using
the command line and they worked. The problem seemed to be that the
arguments -lgnustep-base -lgnustep-gui were not passed to
$GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES. Does anyone know why?

uname -a
Linux L0311MEB 4.4.0-78-generic #99-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 27 15:29:09 UTC
2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
clang --version
clang version 3.8.0-2ubuntu4 (tags/RELEASE_380/final)
Target: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /usr/bin

It would be really nice to use libobjc2 and libdispatch. Is there an
alternative installation route on Ubuntu?

Kindly, Mark.