Re: [INFO] NEXTSPACE

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: [INFO] NEXTSPACE
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 09:21:49 +0000

On 27 Nov 2017, at 22:58, Sergii Stoian <stoyan255@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 7:57 PM, David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This looks very nice, but a few comments:
>
> - Apple still owns the NeXT trademark, so be careful about using NEXT in the
> name.
>
> I think it is exactly the "NeXT" right? Not "Next" or "NEXT”.

I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice:

Trademark law depends a lot on the notion of ‘passing off’, i.e. using a
variation of a trademark in such a way that it may cause confusion.  For
example, Mr MacDonald’s Restaurant may or may not infringe the McDonald’s
trademark, but if it uses a big yellow M as its logo (even in a different
typeface) then it probably will.

Apple is generally quite aggressive about defending trademarks, so it’s
probably better not to risk it - even if you’re right, the cost of defending an
infringement suit in the US may run to millions of dollars.

> - NeXT used the NX prefix (NS = NeXT + Sun, NX = NeXT), so using it as your
> prefix is confusing.
>
> Yes I know that. Do you think it's a copyright issue?

It’s not a copyright issue (Google vs Oracle notwithstanding), it’s a confusion
issue.  I saw the headers and thought they were implementations of pre-OpenStep
NeXT classes, but then I looked more closely and they don’t appear to be.

> - Please don’t put big RPMs in the repo!  It adds overhead to anyone who
> clones it, and GitHub has a perfectly adequate Downloads facility for hosting
> these.
>
> - It would be easier to package (and to collaborate) if these were separate
> GitHub repos.
> I've switched to the github a couple of weeks ago and don't know all of the
> github features. Can you help me to place RPMs outside of code on github?

Sure.  If you click on the ‘0 releases’ line at the top of the page, you’ll got
to a page that has a ‘draft a new release’ button.  From here, you can generate
a release associated with a tag and upload any binary versions (e.g. the RPMs).

Note that this will work better if you split the repo into different projects,
because then it’s easy to do the releases independently.

This also helps packagers for other systems.  For example, on FreeBSD if I am
the maintainer of a a port then portscout will send me an email if there’s a
new release automatically.

David