Re: [INFO] NEXTSPACE

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: [INFO] NEXTSPACE
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 11:02:45 +0000

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017, 10:44 Sergii Stoian <stoyan255@gmail.com> wrote:

> - Please don’t put big RPMs in the repo!  It adds overhead to anyone who clones it, and GitHub has a perfectly adequate Downloads facility for hosting these.
>
> - It would be easier to package (and to collaborate) if these were separate GitHub repos.
> I've switched to the github a couple of weeks ago and don't know all of the github features. Can you help me to place RPMs outside of code on github?

Sure.  If you click on the ‘0 releases’ line at the top of the page, you’ll got to a page that has a ‘draft a new release’ button.  From here, you can generate a release associated with a tag and upload any binary versions (e.g. the RPMs).

That's it! Done. I've removed Packages directory from master branch. Thank you.

For future reference: unless you rewrite git history (difficult for you, confusing for anyone that already git cloned your repo, etc) or people obtain a shallow copy instead of a full git clone, these still take up space in the repository. That is: they will be fetched in a git clone as they existed in the repo at *some* point.

Another thing to keep in mind is that compressed binary resources will be poorly diffed and compressed by git.