Re: [INFO] NEXTSPACE

From: Liam Proven
Subject: Re: [INFO] NEXTSPACE
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 18:52:15 +0100

On 29 November 2017 at 18:03, Sergii Stoian <stoyan255@gmail.com> wrote:

> But consider the following:
> 1. IMHO GNUstep and NEXTSPACE are not the rivals of MacOS (or any other
> Apple product) in any form. Moreover GNUstep along with NeXTSTEP can be a
> good starting point to future developers of Apple ecosystem (Obj-C and Swift
> development environment without need to by a Mac from the start). I see it
> this way.

Doesn't matter. It contains stolen property.

> 2. Apple never used graphics from NeXTSTEP in their products. None of them.

Doesn't matter. Apple owns NeXT. Apple owns everything NeXT ever did or made.

> 3. There's no icons for all applications (see Preferences as example) in
> GNUstep or GNUstep themes. So I need to find another set of icons in
> GNOME/KDE themes for example. But it will definitely kill NeXT style of
> NEXTSPACE.

That's a pity, but you can't use non-Free elements in something and
have it still be Free.

> 4. NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP is dead for 17 years (latest patch for OPENSTEP dated
> 2000). It can't be used on modern hardware with modern software. That people
> (like me) need NeXTSTEP equipped with all new functionality that OpenSource
> have got during these 17 years.

There's no such thing as abandonware. It is still their property. You
can't take from it or make it Free. Only Apple can make Apple IP Free,
and free for download does not mean Free as in FOSS.

> Anyway, I definitely understand the problem. I'll do all my best to find a
> solution.

Well, good.

Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Talk/Plus: lproven@gmail.com