Re: Mysterious crash in NSRunLoop, using libobjc2 on Linux

From: Lobron, David
Subject: Re: Mysterious crash in NSRunLoop, using libobjc2 on Linux
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 20:38:48 +0000

>> I did this, and I've pasted the output below.  At first glance, the
>> exceptions all seem to be the same (or at least, all have the same address
>> of 0x17158c80).  I'm not entirely sure how to interpret the rest of the
>> action there.  One thing that leaps out is that there seem to be
>> personalities involved: GNUCOBJC and GNUCC++.  The code that throws this
>> exception is a .mm file, i.e., Objective-C++, with a mix of ObjC and C++.
>
> Aha!  That might be it, and might be enough to come up with a reduced test
> case.  When you throw the exception, it’s an ObjC exception.  When you throw
> it through an ObjC++ stack frame, it’s transformed into a C++ exception and
> passed to the C++ personality function, but only when the cleanup is run for
> that frame.  I suspect that the ObjC personality function is not correctly
> handling the transformation back to an ObjC exception for the catch.

Thanks, David!  I will try to make a reduced test case, based on this.  I'll
start with a simple program that throws an ObjC exception in an NS_HANDLER,
where the whole thing resides in a .mm file.  BTW, I've enabled native
exceptions here.  I will let you guys know when I've got something.

Thank you again for your help,

David