Re: Mysterious crash in NSRunLoop, using libobjc2 on Linux

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Mysterious crash in NSRunLoop, using libobjc2 on Linux
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2017 09:33:15 +0000

On 21 Dec 2017, at 07:11, David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org> wrote:

> On 20 Dec 2017, at 21:08, Lobron, David <dlobron@akamai.com> wrote:
>>
>> The [NSException raise] method just calls "@throw self" when
>> _NATIVE_OBJC_EXCEPTIONS is defined
>
> It does, but [NSException raise] is another function (well, method, but after
> the call to objc_msgSend it’s a function).  The exception is thrown from
> there, not from the stack frame containing the @catch block.

It turns out that this is the crucial bit: throwing an Objective-C exception
through a C++ catch (or ObjC++ @catch) block was broken.  This is pretty
uncommon, but we now have a test for it and it appears to be passing.

I’ve also tweaked the build system so that we now don’t build a separate
libobjcxx, which should give a more consistent interface.

David