Re: Compiling gnustep-make

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: Compiling gnustep-make
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 22:58:02 +0000 (UTC)

В Tue, 30 Jan 2018 06:35:03 +1100, Svetlana Tkachenko написа:
> Then the following error message:
> config-noarch.make:121: *** GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT is obsolete

When is this "then"?  When you run `make' after the successful
configure run of gnustep-make, when you run `make install' for
gnustep-make or when you attempt to build a random GNUstep tool/app
afterwards?

I suspect that you still have gnustep-make/gnustep-common installed as
official Debian packages.  GNUstep Make will not configure properly if
there is a previous installation as it'll attempt to find and use an
existing GNUstep.conf.  Debian's gnustep-make configuration still
caters for old (1.x) makefiles as we have to make sure that nothing
breaks if we remove the compatibility layer (on my TODO, after the
ongoing gnustep-gui transition).

If you intend to use a pristine GNUstep installation on a Debian
system, it's much better to wipe out all GNUstep-related Debian
packages.  Or you can install in the USER domain which always takes
precedence.  That's what I'm doing and it works nicely except when
testing changes to GNUstep Make.

If you have problems with the Debian packages, please report them to
the Debian BTS; thanks in advance.  If my theory above is correct,
this is not a problem in the Debian gnustep-make package.  Rather,
it's a problem in the upstream build system which is assuming things
it shouldn't.