Re: SMDoubleSlider usability on GNUstep

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: SMDoubleSlider usability on GNUstep
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 15:44:06 +0000 (UTC)

В Wed, 07 Mar 2018 23:35:53 +0100, Fred Kiefer написа:

> To me it now looks like NSSliderCell just overrides all the value
> methods of its super calls and implements them by setting a numerical
> value directly.

It appears so.

> For NSCell and specific sub classes things are different, but only
> if these get initialised as text cells. Doing this on an
> NSSliderCell would not set the max value, which prevents that cell
> from working.

This explains why Lynkeos code like

NSSliderCell *slider = [[[NSSliderCell alloc] initTextCell:@""]
autorelease];

doesn't work.  I had to change this to plain -init (which calls
-initImageCell: with a nil argument in the GNUstep implementation).

> I plan to do a full rewrite of NSSliderCell, without touching NSCell
> at all.

I may be wrong but I think that David's suggestion to modify
NSCell -*Value methods is correct nevertheless (this has nothing to do
with your analysis of course).

Many thanks in advance for working on this.  I'd wish I had the
appropriate knowledge and skills to help.