Re: Use of NSZoneStat()

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Use of NSZoneStat()
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 18:42:14 +0000

> On 9 Mar 2018, at 17:08, amon <amon@vnl.com> wrote:
>
> It may be the case that the malloc scene is confused and lacks
> standards, but the ability to debug leaks with a simple test
> like this has been a long standing and very serious problem
> with Objective C, to the point that I have my doubts there is
> any significant size program written in the language that is not
> silently leaking like a sieve.

Very few ObjC programs have big issues with malloc/free since they simply don't
use them directly very much ... heap memory is generally associated with
objects and dealt with by the retain/release/autorelease mechanism.
There *are* lots of features for management and reporting of object lifetimes
etc which provide much more detailed/useful information than NSZoneStat() about
object allocation/deallocation.
But, I agree that having a nice report of malloc stats is really useful in the
specific cases wher you are writing code that does lots of messing with heap
memory not associated with objects.