Re: GNUstep + libobjc2 and powerpc ( was "libobjc2 on powerpc")

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: GNUstep + libobjc2 and powerpc ( was "libobjc2 on powerpc")
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 11:16:36 +0100

>>> Then should I build libobjc2 before of after gnustep-make ?
>>
>> After.  Now libobjc2 doesn’t depend on GNUstep Make.
>>
>> David
>>

> Hi everyone,
> I'm trying now to build base and failed.
>
> I've tried all that I could find on the list or on the internet:
>
> - building make twice or only once after libobjc2
> - installing libobjc2 in /usr , /usr/local, or even
> in /usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries/ (I use GNUstep layout) by hand
> - building without gcc's gobjc-4.9.deb and gobjc++-4.9.deb (I thought
> they weren't mandatory) or with them.
>

> I've even added --enable-install-ld-so-conf to gnustep-make configure.
>
> My configure options for make are :
>
> ./configure --enable-debug-by-default --with-layout=gnustep
> -enable-objc-nonfragile-abi -enable-objc-arc --enable-install-ld-so-conf
>
> and I had set OBJCFLAGS="-fblocks -fobjc-runtime=gnustep-1.8.1" before
> the last install of make and run ldconfig just before configuring base.
>

> Each time, the configure step of base fails with the well-known and
> infamous:
>
>> checking whether objc really works... no
>> I don't seem to be able to use your Objective-C compiler to produce
>> working binaries!  Please check your Objective-C compiler installation.
>> If you are using gcc-3.x make sure that your compiler's libgcc_s and libobjc
>> can be found by the dynamic linker - usually that requires you to play
>> with LD_LIBRARY_PATH or /etc/ld.so.conf.
>> Please refer to your compiler installation instructions for more help.
>> configure: error: The Objective-C compiler does not work or is not installed
>> properly.
>
> Here is attached my config log attached, when  gnustep-make was installed
> before and after libobjc2, ithout gobjc-4.9.
>
> Any idea ?

Yes. The line
  ./conftest: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libdispatch.so.0:
R_PPC_REL24 relocation at 0x0fc83f40 for symbol `gettimeofday' out of range
indicates an issue with some library built incorrectly without the -fPIC
option. See this Stackoverflow question for some advice:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12862830/r-ppc-rel24-relocation-out-of-range

Wolfgang