Re: Website organization Re: Notes from GNUstep quarterly meet up...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Website organization Re: Notes from GNUstep quarterly meet up...
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 15:12:05 +0200

Hi Nikolaus,

nice to read you! Hope this means you are fine and also still a "stepper".

Last time your contributions were important in the organization of the Website! I followed many of them.

H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
Interesting point. Yes, it may have been right 20 years ago when there was a community working closely together and a home page was the main tool to bring together users, testers and developers. IMHO this has changed and a home page is nowadays mainly a marketing tool to attract users from competing projects.
And users do no longer feel comfortable to be welcome as testers, rather they
expect perfection. Therefore giving Bugs a prominent position may indeed be the
wrong message.

Yes... I understand and unluckily this is the fate of Open Source projects.
Given the worsened bug-tracking experience anyway (the other discussion is still open, I came to a possible conclusion though) maybe "Report a Bug" should be put in the developer menu, with the following reason. 1) average Joe doesn't care anymore, so using a top-level item is bad, even gives the wrong message 2) average Joe ("Otto Normalverbraucher") is curious enough to report something he will have clicked on the menu "develop" (after all, a bug report is the first step to development, which is not just "coding") and/or he will find out the issue tracker on github anyway.

Another hint could be renaming "Get Help" to "Contacts and Lists", but I am
unsure, Get Help is very direct, but unexpected.
The difference is if menu items are formulated "descriptive" or as "call for
action". I.e. as noun or verb phrase.

And indeed the first 4 are descriptive so the 5th should be the same. But it
may be difficult to stay with one style.

Anyways, an issue with verb phrases is they can be formulated as instructions
to the machine or as what the user wants to achieve.

"Get Help" seems to be a short for "Get me help" or "Give me help". So "Give Help" or
"Help" would be the instruction to the web page.

I think you proposed it back then... or it is even a left-over of the previous site. It is a "call for action" but I feel it is out of place compared to the other times as they are organized now.

What would you propose as a name for that link? just "Help"? "Contacts?" "Lists & more?" ?

Riccardo