Re: [Dolibarr-dev] Indent tabs or spaces?

From: Laurent Destailleur (aka Eldy)
Subject: Re: [Dolibarr-dev] Indent tabs or spaces?
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 20:30:01 +0100

Currently using PSR2 was not acted.
I prefer to apply styles rules, one rule after one rule, and with each rules EXPLICITELY defined.
Reason is that a lot of rules are just stupid. So we may apply some of them, more and more rule from PSR2 but probably not 100% of them. We are just moving step by step, rule after rule.

So for present, rules to be applied are rules that are controled into the checkstyle.xml file.

If report is ok (for travis), then we match rules (even if there is one rule not yet checked that is not ok).

Note: Sometimes a PR is also accepted even if a rule is not ok, just because the PR is strategically important and merging it later, once style is fixed may consume more time than merging now and fixing style immediatly after.

So, are we following PSR-2 or not?

I am seeing Pull Request accepted that are not following it and I'm quite surprised right now.

Regards,

Marcos García
address@hidden

Well, there is so many way of working, so this is what i suggest :

* We user PSR2 : https://github.com/php-fig/fig-standards/blob/master/accepted/PSR-2-coding-style-guide.md

* Except for indentation that must be set to:  Tabs = 4 spaces and we don't replace tabs with spaces but we keep the tab (PSR2 says we mut replace space by tabs). Reason is:
This is the default option for Eclipse (Eclipse does not replace with space by default), so most developer will work like this. And above all, if you replace tabs with spaces, there is no way to use ALT-TAB to reduce nb of tabs: when we want to reduce a part of indented code of one level, we must remove manually spaces on each lines. Very boring.

So I update the wiki to add this on page to explain all options to match this rules :
http://wiki.dolibarr.org/index.php/Environment_and_development_tools#Install_Eclipse