Re: [Dolibarr-dev] Dolibarr 3.8.1 and freeze of Dolibarr 3.9

From: Olivier Geffroy
Subject: Re: [Dolibarr-dev] Dolibarr 3.8.1 and freeze of Dolibarr 3.9
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2015 22:49:33 +0200

very good news

with alexandre we gonna to try cleaning accounting and correct bugs for 3.9

thanks eldy for the amazing work

Dolibarr 3.8.0 was released 2 weeks ago.

No news were posted on dolibarr.org web site because, it was a very important version (very high number of changes) and i suspected to have a high number of bugs as feedbacks after such a news, despite the long beta period. So i prefer to spend time to communicate on 3.8.1

Well, some annoying bugs were found into 3.8 as expected and fixed as we should. Annoying troubles looks behind us so I will be release version 3.8.1 very soon, to have better/cleaner packages available for community.

Also, version 3.9 will soon be frozen, to be ready in january as defined in standard roadmap.
Because 3.8 was released late, it means version 3.9 will not contains as many changes than 3.8.
It is ot a bad thing. I would like the 3.9 version to be a "light" version, even if some changes and new features will be introduced.
Ryhtm of introducing new features was vry high last month, and I would like, at least, on "calm" version.
I would also probably clean some code: The templates provided by default are not maintained by anybody. Only template "eldy" is maintained and fulle 100% working for all features. All other skins have only one maintainer. It is not a problem to introduce new fun skins suggested by developers but if such modules are not maintained, I just prefer not.

I will probably think 2 times now before introducing new themes, each times I accept it, i am disapointed to see it is not maintain as it should.

Because i am the only developer to maintain skins other develps has submites several years ago, and because i don't want to spent time to such a task, I will probably removed all skins for 3.9 except :

- "eldy" that is 100% working and we need a very stable default theme. Also this module introduce option to set more colors providing more possible look with only one skin.

- "md" because it is a new skin, 100% working (nearly) even if it is an experimental skin. It is a new skin that is inspired by material design theme so differs from eldy and like we do for numbering module, I want to have at least 2 different examples for all submodules available with standard distribution.

I will let other developers/packagers maintain old skins if they want. They were Open source, so feel free to package them if you can/want/need

--
Laurent aka Eldy

Olivier Geffroy
Consultant Informatique