Re: [DotGNU]Questions for NewsForge story

From: Myrddian
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Questions for NewsForge story
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 09:24:58 +1000

> I definitely like this.  Further, perhaps we can look at the remote
> services/transactions/network stuff as add-on API's for the platform?

Well in theory the "Framework" Is an API, which should allow any application
access
the DotGNU framework/network. In theory I should be able to compile a C program
that could access DotGNU.

Now the Platform, this idea arose out of the fact the .NET had CLI, but I
thought we could
go one better. Why dont we make a Language independent ByteCode, that is I
could write in C++
and yet compile DotGNU Bytecode, now the platform would be based on Unix
(POSIX), enviroment
plus what ever we add to make it complete (that is, GUI, Threads, etc).

Why the bytecode? Well it allows DotGNU to host applications which can run on
different
platforms/machines with no relation to each other but they have the DotGNU
platform
in which they could host the app.

Now the ByteCode is tied closely to the DotGNU run-time enviroment, but but an
app may or may not use
the Networking side.

So you could write entire apps out using the DotGNU platform, but it would be
up to you if you wanted
to use the Netowrking side of things. Of course if you chose to use the
Bytecode option it should
be easier to intergrate to the DotGNU framework.

Myrddian <address@hidden(nospam)au>
"I stayed up all night playing poker with tarot cards. I got a full house
 and four people died".

                   -- Steven Wright