Re: [DotGNU]Market research

From: Adam Theo
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Market research
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 06:54:05 -0400

Hello, Adam Theo here;

But, for the authentication system to work, there's going to have to be
an authentication client.  This is the tough part.  As long as the
information was to be kept on the auth server, we could have
(potentially) replaced any client with a web interface or another type
of low level client which simply contacted the auth server.  However, I
think that we all agree that this type of structure is a Bad Thing and
that we would prefer the user to have more control over the
authentication process...

Well in theory the application could do the authentication, well at least
ask the user for authenticatio. However is the user is asked to type
in info on a web page uhmm I dont know I am not too certain.
What I was thinking is that a person uses Software A. This software then can connect to Server A. For Authentication with the info the user has provided
all the server will say is nay, or yay. An app or client end user interface
should not be able to retreive any more info.

i can't help but pop here. I and a few fellow jabber developers (more on jabber later) have been working on an identity/authorization framework for the past few months, and have just opened it up to outside developers. needless to say, it is of course 100% open source, but the thing you may be concerned about is it does use the Jabber communication system, which i am willing to bet most of you have not heard of (unfortunate! :-).

jabber is a 100% open source distributed (like email) communications system. it is not controlled from a central server or location at all. it is much more like email-done-right, with alot of it's power residing in application to application communication, not just user to user. i strongly suggest everyone here at least check it out, to find out a little more about it. i think it may be able to help all of you out on this project in at least *some* way.

find out about the jabber system at http://www.jabber.org

oh, and please tell me what you think of the jabber system. i and all the other jabber people would love to hear what you have to say, especially if it is bad (seriously. it just makes us work harder.).

and about the identity system, i also suggest you consider participating. it does not have any final, set-in-stone concepts yet, so it is still very open to new ideas. it is a very low traffic mailing list, so you don't have to worry about it over-running your inbox at all, *and it uses a neat little [title] in the subject like this list, for easy filtering!* :-)

find out about the identity project at http://www.theoretic.com/identity

--          Adam Theo >> "Fairness Above All!"
    /\  Theoretic Solutions (www.Theoretic.com):
   //\\   'Activism, Software, and Internet Services'
  //  \\  Personal Homepage (www.Theoretic.com/adamtheo/):
 //----\\   Email & Jabber:                    Other:
//--||--\\  -Professional: address@hidden  -AIM: AdamTheo2000