Re: [DotGNU]first draft for FD press release

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]first draft for FD press release
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 20:07:39 +0200

> I like it, but I think that I'd change the first large paragraph to
> read:
>
> -----
>
> FreeDevelopers ( which can be found on the internet at
> http://freedevelopers.net ) is a software development company which is
> very different from traditional companies: FreeDevelopers has a "The
> Community is the Company" structure, and all the software they develop
> is licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL). The GPL provides
> the users of the programs with many rights.  These rights include the
> freedom to modify the program (which includes the freedom to the source
> code), and the freedom to redistribute the program.  If a person is not
> a programmer, they may choose to hire someone to make the changes for
> them.  Computer programs where the users are given these freedom rights
> are called Free Software (See
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html#AboutFreeSoftware for more
> details).  So far much excellent Free Software has been developed by
> volunteers working together informally over the internet, for example
> most of the very successful GNU/Linux operating system has been
> developed in this way.  The company FreeDevelopers has been started with
> the goal to create a corporate structure that will allow Free Software
> developers to get paid for the work they do.

Very good changes mostly.  Just a minor nitpick:  The correct
abbreviation for that wonderful license is GNU GPL.  (I got
corrected on the FD mailing list by RMS recently when I made the
same mistake.)

Greetings, Norbert.

--
Norbert Bollow, Weidlistr.18, CH-8624 Gruet  (near Zurich, Switzerland)
Your own domain with all your Mailman lists: $15/month http://cisto.com