Re: [DotGNU]Microsoft & Mono

From: Barry Fitzgerald
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Microsoft & Mono
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 03:05:30 -0400

Kent Nguyen wrote:

> > Even if 63% of all of the web servers out there are apache, these
> > servers - using .Net compatible services - could further leverage
> > Microsoft's position on the desktop by running Microsoft centric
> > architectures over Free Software.  This it why dotGnu is the real danger
> > to Microsoft.  Mono is a necessary component to some extent.
>
> What about Microsoft passport customer based?  Doesn't that attract software
> developer to buy a specialize "security pack" to interoperate with passport?
>
> --kent

Well, I think it's obvious that user marketshare is always an issue when
considering what platform some developers will develop for - as does an
already existing userbase.  These are essentially one and the same.
However, I fail to see your point here.  Yes, their marketshare is a
factor.  So...???

        -Barry