Re: [DotGNU]Re: Support Java for .GNU

From: Martin Coxall
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: Support Java for .GNU
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:01:17 +0100

> (like M$ doing
> some extremely Draconian tactic to destroy all
> competition who use it, it could happen).

c# is now an open standard. Even if M$ break their implemenation, ours will
still work! This is also not a problem. ECMA c#, CLR, BCL are now in the
control of a standards body with a public domain licensing. Compare and
contrast that with Sun's licensing scheme.

We have been handed c# on a plate by the ECMA. It would be crazy not to take
it because some paranoid distrust of Microsoft gets in the way. Sun are the
real threat here, please don't think they're not. Scott McNealy is a nasty
piece of work who would do all in his power to stop us if it seemed we were
running away with Java. I don't want to go there, and with c# as an open
standard, we don't have to.

---
Martin
---

"Where laughing and smiling are not allowed"