Re: Java issues, and Microsoft.NET compatibility (was Re: [DotGNU]Choice

From: Bradley M. Kuhn
Subject: Re: Java issues, and Microsoft.NET compatibility (was Re: [DotGNU]Choice of bytecode spec (was: Support Java for .GNU))
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 01:18:23 -0400

[And, this is where having two hats gets weird: following up to my own
posts.]

Bradley M. Kuhn <address@hidden> wrote:

> But, IMO, we can't make these pie-in-the-sky ideas a reality at first.
> The first order of business is to make something that works more-or-less
> just like Microsoft.NET for the developers who are adopting the
> technology.  Second, we build the services and applications that run on
> Microsoft.NET as Free Software, to get adoption by users.

> [...] for the developer tools (bytecodes, languages, CLI, etc.), we
> should be compatible.

I would note that from the point of view of the GNU project, this is the
tried and true method.  RMS talks a lot about how when he started GNU, he
was by then an experienced operating system developer.  He could have
written his dream operating system, with all the features he thought one
should have.

But, he knew that he faced a strong force of proprietary software
Unix-like systems.  If he developed GNU to be something that wasn't
compatible with Unix, everyone would reject it, saying: "We write software
for Unix; sorry, we can't switch.  We'll stick with proprietary software
Unix systems".  Unix-like systems have their drawbacks (RMS will happily
tell you about them if you ask him ;), but we made GNU compatible to gain
adoptions.

I am already getting emails, based on our press releases, from a few
people saying: "I am already adopting Microsoft.NET because my boss says
we have to, or my business demands it.  But, I am sick of Microsoft, and
will be happy to switch to your stuff if I can.  I hope you get done
soon."  For every one person who writes us saying this, there's at least a
hundred more out there.

We need to be compatible, otherwise, we won't get adoption.

--
Bradley M. Kuhn, Vice President
Free Software Foundation     |  Phone: +1-617-542-5942