[DotGNU]RE: Java issues.

From: Aisha Fenton (DSL AK)
Subject: [DotGNU]RE: Java issues.
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 18:10:02 +1200

>>There has been some talk about whether or not the Java platform should be
>>considered for DotGNU, and some talk about whether or not we should
>>deviate from Microsoft.NET's ECMA specifications...

What has been decided for this? Will we use Java?

>>But, IMO, we can't make these pie-in-the-sky ideas a reality at first.
>>The first order of business is to make something that works more-or-less
>>just like Microsoft.NET for the developers who are adopting the
>>technology

I understand that the JVM has some limitations, but I still think that using
a Java base for DotGNU is a safer way to go. These are my reasons:

-Java has huge industry support. Open source projects like Tomcat and JBoss
are to a large section of the enterprise community (people like my boss) the
proof that the open source model is a wonderful thing.

-Sun will help and promote DotGNU. It would fit in with IBMs vision of Java,
Linux and Web Services as well.

-Supporting the CLI parts of DotNet will help make DotNet a truly viable
cross platform language (which has only up to now been hype). I would rather
not help Microsoft if possible :-)

-Microsoft isn't going to help us. How can we compete with the inventers of
the platform, esp. an aggressive company like MS? DotGNU will be second
best, if our goal is to match MS's DotNet?

-Why give up a head start?