[DotGNU]Re: .GNU

From: Mike Warren
Subject: [DotGNU]Re: .GNU
Date: 05 Sep 2001 14:03:27 -0600

Matthew Copeland <address@hidden> writes:

> The only problem with this, is that it isn't true.  DNS isn't really
> non-centralized.  Remember, someone controls those Root nameservers,
> and if you have ever had dealings with those people, you would know
> that they can be a real pain to deal with.  Secondarily, some
> company controls those root name servers, do you want the the same
> things for this?  I sure don't.  I think we need to look beyond
> using DNs as our metaphor, and find or create a new meaphor for this
> work.

Anyone can start a root server, and there are additional root servers
already which provide naming service outside of .com, .org, .net and
the country-level domains. Similarly, anyone is free to use the DNS
servers they like, including different root servers.

It seems to me that the analog is good, since there will likely be
some ``large'' and well-trusted identity services as part of a DotGNU
network which many people will use. There will also be smaller or
less-trusted ones which fewer people will use.

--
address@hidden
<URL:http://www.mike-warren.com>