Re: [DotGNU]network management

From: timte878
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]network management
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 13:28:40 +0100

> > I (a swedish student) am making my final thesis now, with the
> > title "Development of a secure network management application"
>
> I think that this would be a GREAT contribution to DotGNU. This is
> something that will work nicely into our entire strategy. What
> type of
> functionality are you thinking of including?

The most effort will be made on investigation of what strategies are
best for management, what protocols are most secure and useful, and a
design of the whole application. I'm not sure how much time I get to
implement this, but I think an investigation and a good design is what
is most important. When that is done, the coding should be pretty
fast/easy, especially if you are several doing it.

Hmm, funcionality.. fault detection, fault isolation, service
restoration, configuring of the network elements, discovering of network
topology, monitoring for changes that could be traces of cracker(s) and
other security issues. ISO breaks down Network Management into five
pieces: Configure management, Accounting management, Security
management, Fault management and Performance management. My main efforts
will be in the fault and security management area. But I will also do
data monitoring, performance measuring so you know when traffic is
heaviest for instance, possibly accounting too...
In short words, most functionality a Network management application
could
have :)

/ Tim