[DotGNU]PVM as WOS

From: David Nicol
Subject: [DotGNU]PVM as WOS
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 15:59:19 -0500

Norbert Bollow wrote:

>    (I've always been thinking of WOS as a system consisting of
>    sysadmin tools and middleware, all of which would run
>    completely in userspace within the DotGNU Secure Execution
>    Environment.)

Something like PVM?

PVM is a architecture-independent framework for defining
remote procedures, in the form of ansi C subroutines, which
are compiled on the worker nodes.

When you have a job that can be divided (for example you are
exploring the Madelbrot set and need to do a million independent
but cpu-intensive calculations of pixel color), the programmer
defines the remote subroutine, and the framework distributes
the routine among participating calculation peers, and then the
framework organizes the scattering of problems and gathering
of results as they come back, and the retransmission of problems
that get lost.

--
                                           David Nicol 816.235.1187
                                            1,3,7-trimethylxanthine