[DotGNU]about forking (was Re: UDDI/WDSL)

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: [DotGNU]about forking (was Re: UDDI/WDSL)
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 15:29:38 +0200

> > Ok... jUDDI has a BSD-style license, which is GPL-compatible.
> > So in a worst-case scenario, it would be resonably easy for
> > DotGNU to fork jUDDI.  Therefore I think you're right, there
> > seems to be no reason why DotGNU couldn't endorse UDDI.
>
> I think forking should always be considered a last resort or something to
> do if future development is taken off a free license.

Sure... the context of this discussion was my concern that
Microsoft might play dirty tricks with UDDI.  Tim answered
by pointing out the existence of jUDDI, which resolves my
concern:  The point is not that we would want to fork jUDDI,
but that because we have the _freedom_ to fork, we don't need
to be afraid of any dirty tricks.  (This also makes it much
less likely hat anyone might try dirty tricks.)

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A member of FreeDevelopers and the DotGNU Steering Committee: dotgnu.org
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com