[DotGNU]SEE work this week

From: David Sugar
Subject: [DotGNU]SEE work this week
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 10:14:30 -0500 (EST)

This week I have been focusing on GNU Common C++, which is at the core of
SEE and several other packages.  GNU Common C++ offers some portability to
nativily build Win32 executables as well as supporting GNU, and other
posix targets.  This cross platform portability is being enhanced with a
new release, 1.9.0, which should be distributed by the end of the week.

A lot of recent effort has gone into making sure Common C++ 1.9.0 builds
native clean on win32, as well as improvements in GNU and posix support in
general.  Among other reasons, this was deemed strategically nessisary to
assure that the Andromeda (SEE) daemon will compile native and available
on all platforms.

The Andromeda SEE daemon will be updated later this week to reflect
changes in Common C++ 1.9.0.  This is actually an interum release of
Common C++ until the full 2.0 release is made ready, perhaps before the
end of the year.

I would like to see if we can use the recent native win32 port of libxml2
to support GNU Common C++ XML parsing under the win32 platform (we use
libxml2 for XML support on posix platforms).  This should resolve the one
last issue (portable XML support) for fully supporting a win32 native
compilable Andromeda SEE.

I hear Rhys has also been very busy with pnet...

David