Re: [DotGNU]What .NET is this?

From: Daniel E Baumann
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]What .NET is this?
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 22:28:19 -0600

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 01:08:38PM +1000, Rhys Weatherley wrote:
> Sorry about the delay.  I've been at a conference and
> am only now catching up on my e-mail.
>
> Bill Lance wrote:
>
> > So what advantage is gained by the .NET runtime?  Are
> > you assuming that the app used (and presumably needed)
> > RPC's to various Verizon data sites in orders to
> > acomplish it's task?
>
> I know absolutely nothing about why they thought .NET
> was better.  I just expressed an opinion that they probably
> had it lying around, is all.  It isn't uncommon for some
> programmers to think that the tool they have is better
> than the tool they don't have.  It was just an opinion.
>
> > > The real test of .NET will be end-user apps on the
> > > ground, not quick-fire solutions to one-off vertical
> > > problems.  Anything can be used for one-offs.
> > > That's
> > > always been the case.
> >
> > I'm not sure about that.  The whole concept of
> > middleware has always struck me as being far more
> > relevant to internal system development where it's a
> > variant of the ol' problem of making your network
> > work.
>
> Well, I come from a user interface background, so I do
> tend to see things differently. :-)  But I agree with your
> view where middleware is concerned.
>
> > There's all kinds of interesting new tricks in this
> > space.  Some time in the near future, even b2b uses
> > may evolve.  However, I am having terrible trouble
> > envisoning a significant use of this for the internet
> > enduser.
>
> Java promised to deliver applications to the end user
> using applets.  That never took off, in part because Sun's
> early implementations ran like a dog, and they persisted
> in plugging them into the browser, where they didn't
> belong.  This space may (or may not) get a kick-start
> using .NET.
>
> I certainly hope so, because I am heartily sick of seeing
> company after company twist their applications to fit into
> HTML, which was never designed for application delivery.
> There are pocket calculators with a better UI than the
> average "Web application".
>
> As a user interface guy at heart, I'd like to see a real
> application-to-client platform emerge.  But first we
> must ditch the "everything is a Web page" virus that
> has infected the industry.  Only then will innovation
> restart.  IMNSHO, of course. :-)

All this talk about UIs and midlleware makes me wanna ask if anyone ever
check out GNUe forms client or GEAS GNUe Application server?
http://www.gnuenteprise.org (ok so I am biased since I have contributed
code, so sue me ;) ).

--
Daniel E Baumann      address@hidden

***Free Dmitry Sklyarov! Boycott Adobe! Repeal DMCA!***

And if cynics ridicule freedom, ridicule community...if ``hard nosed
realists'' say that profit is the only ideal...just ignore them, and use
copyleft all the same.
      -- RMS