Re: [DotGNU]SourceForge drifting

From: Dan Kuykendall (Seek3r)
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]SourceForge drifting
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 09:50:16 -0800

Norbert Bollow wrote:

> >  > I think this is a great idea.  Re-inventing Savannah as a distributed
> >  > development environment with the DotGNU webservices platform at
> >  > its core would be a great way to showcase DotGNU.  However this
> >  > would require some significant changes to Loic's plans for the
> >  > next-generation Savannah.
> >  >
> >  > Loic, what do you think about these ideas?
> >  >

> >       I tend to like it. Were are commited to use phpGroupWare for
> > various reasons, mainly because it requires little efforts to get a
> > platform running and also because it's well architectured. Would that
> > conflict with using DotGNU ?
>
> It conflicts with the current lack of plans for supporting PHP in
> DotGNU.

What does it mean to support PHP? We already provide an XML-RPC
interface which is being used by our new client app (see
http://www.phpgroupware.org). We have a SOAP interface, which is partly
broken but we are working to fix.
The way we have organized the code in an n-tier style, it allows for all
of the interfaces to essentially call up an apps functions from either
XML-RPC, SOAP or internally with PHP.

However, now that you say you arent planning to support PHP, it helps
explain why phpGroupWare has been overlooked by you guys all this time.
Hopefully a few of you will take some time and look at what we have
done. We have a working web services solution all under the GPL/LGPL. We
have several apps, and we are perfectly willing to adjust here and there
to fit into the DotGNU plan.

> One of the problems is the GPL-incompatibility of PHP4.
> Does phpGroupWare run with PHP3?

Yes, we go to great lengths to continue supporting PHP3 because of the
license.

Seek3r