Re: [DotGNU]SourceForge drifting

From: Dan Kuykendall (Seek3r)
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]SourceForge drifting
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 09:54:03 -0800

Matthew Copeland wrote:

> The big problem with a distributed architecture wuith regards to project
> maintenance is handling data backups.  One of the big bonuses of
> centralization of source code is easy backup.  If everything is
> distrubted, you have to worry about your local group doing proper backups.
> So, if you went a distrubted route, it would probably be a good idea to
> make it so that data automatically migrates between servers to a series of
> master servers that have the diskspace and the backup equipment to back it
> all up, or provide as part of the installation describe how to do all of
> the backups.

This simply means that you must be responsible for picking a responsible
host. I think the choice is important enough that its very worth it.
If you have a centralized solution, and for some reason (finiacial, a
fire, an earthquake, war) they collapse, then everyone goes down with
them.
I think that its proven that lots of smaller organizations provide for
stability better than one big group who becomes too powerful.

Seek3r