Re: [DotGNU]Distributed Savannah(was: phpGW and DotGNU)

From: Dan Kuykendall (Seek3r)
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Distributed Savannah(was: phpGW and DotGNU)
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 06:35:56 -0800

Norbert Bollow wrote:

> If the phpGroupWare folks are agreeable to this, then perhaps it
> would be possible to devide the phpGroupWare package into a
> number of packages, which each implements one webservice component,
> plus one package which combines all those webservice components
> into the phpGroupWare webservice application?

It pretty much already works that way. We do have a single CVS tree, but
its app is its own self contained (except for the dependance on the
phpgwAPI) module.
In fact the debian packages have each application broken out into its
own .deb file, and I am switching the RPM(s) to be the same.

Also we have started switching to this ExecMethod() broker that I wrote,
which means that all function execution has a common path which we can
use for logging and redirection.

> Most or all of the other components that Savannah needs exist
> already, implemented by a variety of projects in a variety of
> languages.  So I think we should work with those projects to
> make them usable as webservice components via XMLRPC.  Then the
> Savannah package only needs to contain the code for combining
> all those webservice components into a webservice application
> for managing software development projects.
>
> What does everyone think about this?

I have no problem with looking at other projects for code and solutions.
The only thing that needs to be considered is that most of the apps dont
have xml-rpc or soap support yet, and would take some work to organized
them to work that way. Since we already have just about all the apps
needed (bug tracking, forums, cvsweb, todo list) it will probably be
quicker to just make some tweaks and improvements to our code.
I would however agree that we should look into it and if there is any
app that can handle one or more of the services then we should look at
it. If for nothing else than to be able to use savannah as an example of
how a service like that can be done by combining a collections of small
web services.

Seek3r