Re: [DotGNU]Distributed Savannah(was: phpGW and DotGNU)

From: Dan Kuykendall (Seek3r)
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Distributed Savannah(was: phpGW and DotGNU)
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 18:57:49 -0800

We should probably move this discussion to the phpgw list. I am cc'ing
it with this email.

"Gopal.V" wrote:

> > heh. Its easy to build a new theme for phpGW. Maybe someone will work on
> > a GNU one.
>         I was looking through the .tpl files, when I realized that you were
> using gifs. I am against LZW compression, but I prefer software patent
> violation ( no software patents in india :-) to meek submission. But from
> what RMS has said, could you use PNG please ?.
>
> What you need is a %s/\.gif/\.png in the source
>         and
> giftopnm $1.gif | pnmtopng > $1.png
>         for your gif to change into patent free PNGS.
>
>         Also the theme idea seems easy, so I will most probably hackup a GNU
> (new ?) theme from the default. ie just swap the images ;-).

The problem is that png support is still problematic with many browsers.
We also need transparent backgrounds which are also a problem in many
PNG decoders. We are looking to switch to jpg but still have to address
the transparency issue. Just know that we are working on this and we
*do* want to change from gif as soon as possible.

Seek3r