Re: [DotGNU]IM services ?

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]IM services ?
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 09:14:16 -0500 (EST)

SIP, by far, is the most common signalling/session protocol being used in
future services, at least from the perspective of softswitch vendors.  We
have a wonderful free SIP stack in the 'oSIP' package (soon I hope, GNU
oSIP), which will form a foundation for these services in GNU.  GNU ccRTP
already performs the grunt streaming work, both for single connection and
multiple connections, as well as unicast and multicast networks.  The IC
user agent makes use of both of these, as well as plugins to extend
functionality for role specific applications.  Imagine an ACD agent that
has ACD queue stats and specific functions on their IC agent application,
for example.  Also, it might be fun if it can have a skinnable interface.

Being able to find people is important also.  Historically this has been
done thru seperate directory servers.  Some have combined VoIP user agents
with IM clients, but usually as something that is still externally
invoked.  What I have in mind is a user agent that is also functionally a
IM client, and that can use the IM services for it's "directory"
functionality for finding other users and letting them know you are
available.  It should also be able to pass extended information for role
specific applications (like the ACD agent example above) and interact with
servers that can perform hunting and agent queuing as well as traditional
IM point to point contact.  Being able to forward an IC agent is also
important.