[DotGNU]Market research (was Re: DotGNU FAQ)

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: [DotGNU]Market research (was Re: DotGNU FAQ)
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 01:57:00 +0100

> >> how dotgnu is of value in reducing the customer's
> >> cost.
> >
> >Can you do the necessary research for this?
>
> Ha!  Well, I asked for that one, didn't I  :)
>
> OK:
>
> The economics of webservices is very ambiguous at this
> point.  Distinguishing proprietary vrs FS/OS now would
> have to rely on desktop, on network and on
> client/server experience.  This is basically the TOC
> (Total Cost of Ownership) question.  And the
> liturature is rather fat on this issue, much of it
> corporate PR generated and some more evenhanded stuff
> by 'those who study things'.
>
> Whould this kind of thing be too general at this point?

I think it'll never be possible to give a fully general answer.
We'll have to investigate several specific scenarios which are
"typical" in some ways of what people want to do with
webservices.

So we should probably start with some market research, to find
out what will likely become "typical" business applications of
the webservices concept.

I believe that this is something that we should do anyway.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A member of FreeDevelopers and the DotGNU Steering Committee: dotgnu.org
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com