Re: [DotGNU]This Week on the DotGNU mailing list - 8

From: Norbert Bollow
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 19:32:08 +0100

"Gopal.V" <address@hidden> wrote:

> > b) A Java front-end for the Portable.NET compiler (to be
> >    implemented in C).  (Bradley, you expressed interest in
> >    this... are you able to take this on, or is the FSF keeping
> >    you too busy?)
>       What do you mean by this ? . A Java plugin to cscc ?

Probably yes... whoever takes this on will need to talk with
Rhys concerning the details though.

> > c) A webservice-based application that will become popular
> >    quickly.  A file-sharing app (like I proposed recently)
> >    would be a good choice IMHO.
>       I would like to clarify a few doubts here. What is the
> actual specifications of the file-sharing app.
>
>       - should it be P2P ?

As P2P as reasonably possible.  (Perhaps P2P for the actual
file sharing, but with a client-server architecture for
directory services etc)

>       - anonymity vs Identity ?
>        +---Gnutella   |
>        `---Freenet    `----uServ

Anonymity is not a desirable feature from my perspective at this
stage.  (DotGNU needs to have a respectable image from a business
and government persepctive, we can't associate ourselves with
illegal copying of music or the like.)

>       - locator specified like uServ ?
>               `---eg the ``gopal.<somewhere>.<something>'' locator

Why not?

>       - name searchable like Gnutella/Freenet ?
>               `---eg look for a shared file with name ``GNU''

Each machine which has files to share could announce its
presence to any number of directory servers.  The directory
server would then ask whatever it wants to know about the
files.

>       - How content replication should take place
>               +-- Freenet & uServ does this automagically
>         |     |         `-- ?
>         |     `--cache mode replication
>               `- Gnutella does not have this feature

I think it should be automated as much as possible while still
allowing everyone to control what files (files from which
originator, what kinds of files) will be published from their
machine.

>       - Reliability of Service
>         +--Gnutella
>         |   ``GOOD''
>         +--Freenet
>         |   ``SACRIFICED FOR ANONYMITY''
>         `--uServ
>             ``????''

High reliability is very important IMHO.  I envision this being
used for publishing CVS trees etc.

>     - Who provides the first static peer ?

I can do this.

>     - What happens to the app if uServ is GPL'd ? ;)

Possibly, a merger of the two projects, where the best parts
from both projects are combined.  Or, if it turns out that the
two projects meet different needs, it may be better to continue
both without merging them.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A member of FreeDevelopers and the DotGNU Steering Committee: dotgnu.org
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com