Re: [DotGNU]Potentially useful kit

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Potentially useful kit
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 14:41:38 -0500

One can both implicitly and explicity dual/multi-license software. It is quite possible to do so implicitly because the GPL is a copyright license; one does not transfer ownership thru such a license. Hence, you can distribute the same software to people under the GPL and implicitly sell it to other people such as your clients under different terms. The GPL does not in any way alter your freedom to do this.

Excplicit disjunctive licenses are often used when trying to license something that must be linked with things that have incompatible licenses. For example, perl's artistic license and the GPL are mutually non-interchangable since each have clauses that interfere with the other. A disjunctive license allows one to publically license a work so that others could choose which license to apply as they make use of the work. Again, this does not interfere with your implicit right to seperately license the same work to others under yet different terms.