[DotGNU]Java source -> IL compiler

From: Marcin Krotkiewski
Subject: [DotGNU]Java source -> IL compiler
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 21:13:19 +0100

Hi all,
For some time now I have been working on java source compiler for
pnet. I haven't yet taken part in your discussion here, as until now
I didn't know for sure, whether it will be possible to add my work
to pnet. I am writing the compiler as a part of my diploma work,
so there are some legal issues to be solved - the copyright belongs
to my University. Recently I tried to solve those problems and
the officials at my University agreed to grant the copyright to FSF.
I am now waiting for Bradley M. Kuhn to send me appropriate
forms to be signed. When it's done, I'll be able to release the sources.
This will probably make it possible to add my compiler to future
versions of pnet. If Rhys will want to do that, of course.
Anyway, I find it more sensible to continue from this point than
to write a new compiler from scratch.

Right now I have reached a stage similar to current C# compiler.
I can compile (and generate IL code) for simple classes with
fields and methods (no member classes yet). Statements
(if, for, while), method invocation, local variables and methods'
formal parameters are working, as well as most of pnet-supported
operators.

I tried to stay as close to the C# compiler and pnet's codegen
as possible, so a big part of semantical analysis is simply
copy-pasted with minor changes. No surprises here.

As it is only a part of my diploma work (and I'm slowly running out
of time ;), I won't be able to do all the details. Still, I would like
to continue my work on the compiler if it proves useful.

As soon as I get needed forms from Bradley M. Kuhn and make
the officials sign them, I'll let you know.

Marcin