Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU testing standards

From: Dave Manning
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU testing standards
Date: 08 Jan 2002 21:09:50 -0700

On Tue, 2002-01-08 at 05:55, Rhys Weatherley wrote:

> Agreed.  I certainly wasn't trying to discourage people from
> submitting non-regression bug reports.  However, there are
> probably some guidelines that we should write down to say
> "if you tell us these 4 things, it will make our life much easier".
This pretty much what I'm asking, Rhys.  As a code-banger (shredder,
mutilator, or whatever) I feel a responsibility to try what I can to
make the code break down however I can, but most importantly, it's all
for nothing unless you as the developer gain direct benefit and the
end-user gains a stable and robust application.  I don't want to coem
back and report, "errr...Rhys, your application crashed."  I think it
would be far better if I could report back, "Rhys, process line 5364
produces a stack crash during system condition XXX 34% of the time."
Moreso, to have simplicity for the developer, for me and for any other
testers we get, I'd like to have a semi-standardized testing methodology
available along with the necessry tools to test and measure dotGnu code
under development.  I'm still searching for tools and methods to use,
have found a few, but would very much like the developer inputs on this.

Thanks in advance.
~Dave