Re: [DotGNU]Re: Java and Portable.NET

From: Gopal.V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: Java and Portable.NET
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 20:50:07 +0530

Hi Guys,
> > First of all, a Java bytecode - Il bytecode compiler is not enough.
    Binary compatibility is one of the most attractive features Java
& CIL has. But I'm not saying that JVM2IL is enough.

> Option two is to compile against the dotGNU-enhanced library, which
> includes
> compatibility methods on the System.Object class to allow 'standard'
> Java code to
> run successfully.  The latter mode is the one I was trying to discuss.
> The advantage of
> the second option is 'vendor-lockin' against a Free (Libre)
> implementation, and the
> ability to use the large body of Java code without modification.  The
> advantage of the
> former mode is that the compiled object can run on any CLR: dotNET,
> Mono, or dotGNU.
    So it looks like someone will have to go through the GNU Classpath
code and port that into C#.(Then we have a java.lang.dll for distro)

> > Am I right, or maybe I am missing something important about .NET? I
> > wouldn't
> > suspect MS supports JL execution in their .NET implementation.
>
> I would be astounded if the MS system supports Java bytecode.
    I think we would be much better off supporting JVM execution in
Pnet. AFAIK, Pnet can read .class files. It just needs some class
loaders, ILCoder and stuff to add JVM support. With JVM support
built in & GNU Classpath we have a *VALID* 1.11 JRE in Pnet.

    My experience with VM's are purely subjective. But IMHO we
could maybe hook-up Kaffe(/Japhar)'s verifier in front of a
JVMCoder and we're done. I'm not a *very* good programmer like
Rhys, so I lack the skills to get started on this. Also CVM's
sudden appearance t3rmin4ted all that I read up on the original
Engine. I've just started reading up on CVM two days ago.

    So if anyone is thinking seriously about the JVM Coder ,I'm
able and willing to help. I would also ask Rhys to publish the
something about how CVM works and add a HACKING file for the
ILCoder stuff.

Gopal.V
--
 The difference between insanity and genius is only measured by success