Re: [DotGNU]TextWriter, 'standard' overriding (a little OT)

From: S11001001
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]TextWriter, 'standard' overriding (a little OT)
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 17:45:47 -0600

Rhys Weatherley wrote:

Huh?  Because TextWriter does not inherit from Stream,
there's no need to do this at all.  StreamWriter *uses* a
stream, but doesn't inherit from it either.  And StringWriter
doesn't need streams at all.  I'm confused as to where
the problem is.  AllTypes.xml doesn't document this case,
because there is no case, so to speak.

oops!
/me is dumb for totally missing this
I was thinking about when I was examining the spec for MemoryStream. Which is another one I might do ;)

But my question still remains. Say, for example, I want to override one of the other methods (i.e. for efficiency considerations, stuff not necessary in a subclass). Would it be legal to do this, w/o breaking compliance with the spec? (BTW, I realize how much more ridiculous I look for asking this question more and more :)

--
Seriously, the way I did this was by using a special /sbin/loader binary
with debugging hooks that I made ("dd" is your friend: binary editors