[DotGNU]javacc for Protable.NET

From: Marcin Krotkiewski
Subject: [DotGNU]javacc for Protable.NET
Date: 30 Jan 2002 13:39:22 +0100

Hi all,
I am leaving for Spain in two weaks, so my work on the compiler
will have to slow down a little. Here is a short plan for my work
in the nearest future. Thought you might be interested.
You probably won't have many suggestions, as you haven't seen
the code yet, but give me a week... ;)

* the code will be GPL'd and the copyright will be assigned
to FSF before I leave.

* I'll try to get javacc compile Classpath as soon as I can,
but that's it for now. Minor bugs and proper error handling will
have to wait a little.

* after that I'll have to work on my main diploma task.
There is still much benefit for pnet here. I'll do some
loop analysis and a few optimizations. Now, technical:
Due to a very strict exceptions semantics in Java
(and probably C# too, though not in unsafe regions)
high level loop transformations (as blocking or loop unrolling)
may not be directly applied. I've read some papers on that issue and
there is a way to solve that problem. Briefly, you may divide
a loop into two loops. One is proven to raise no exceptions
and thus can be optimized and transformed. The other one
is executed without modifications. The decision is made
during runtime.
Although I won't probably implement many optimizations,
such preparation stage is necessary and could be used
both for C# and Java.
Any feedback here is *very* welcome.

* because bytecode generation isn't yet completed in pnet
I was thinking about writing a source generation module.
It could be then used as a basis for writing a decompiler
for pnet. Such tool is very useful, but you all probably
know that ;).

Marcin