[DotGNU]Project Rosebud

From: Gerard Toonstra
Subject: [DotGNU]Project Rosebud
Date: 16 Mar 2002 17:15:08 +0000

Hi all,

Short intro is in order, as I am new to the list.

I live in the UK now and have been using Linux since 1998. Before I
mainly developed on the Windows platform, for banks and
telecommunications. I recently started Project Rosebud, which is a
workflow/middleware server solution supposed to be scalable and built on
open standards :)

I read a message somewhere about this IRC marathon and decided to pay a
visit. In the chatroom there was an interesting discussion and at the
end I was asked the following question:

"What, ideally, should dotGNU provide for your project?"

I spent all day rethinking my project goals and researching into what
.NET essentially means and how this particularly applies to my project.

There's a very small bit of documentation that I created as an answer to
this question, which is probably not complete, but might give some ideas
about real-life business scenarios from a workflow perspective. It's in
the "Docs" area of this project.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/rosebud/

I'm actively working on getting a first release out, but it's not easy.
Part of my objective is avoiding the bugs that tend to creep up software
when development is too fast, so I am spending quite some time on
comments and rechecking memory allocations.

Next to that, my reconsiderations after today have made me think that I
might have chosen an incorrect architecture. There are specific benefits
to be gained by incorporating dotGNU for the external interfaces
(especially with regards to B2B). It's all mentioned in the document.

Feel free to comment or ask questions.

Cheers,

Gerard

--