Re: [DotGNU]Call for a truce over mono vs pnet

From: Adam Treat
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Call for a truce over mono vs pnet
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 20:04:38 -0800

> > I simply fail to understand why either project should sacrifice anything.
> > All things being equal (ie licenses) the Free Software world is supposed
> > to be about code-sharing without restriction as long as both parties
> > share and share alike.  Right now, the relationship between Mono and pnet
> > is a one-way street, ie pnet can borrow Mono's code, but Mono can not
> > borrow pnet's. That's fine, since they are under different licenses, but
> > to insinuate that you'd change the license in exchange for Mono giving
> > something up...  Well, that betrays the fact that your choice of license
> > isn't about philosophical licensing issues (which would be fine if that
> > were the case), but rather just a tool to leverage Mono to 'give
> > something up'.
>
> Our choice of license *IS* a philosophical issue.
>
> Quit jumping to convenient conclusions, please.

Fine.  I'll take your word for it.  I wasn't jumping to anything though.  I
was correctly pointing out, that _if_ you use licensing as a bargaining tool,
_then_ your philosphical reasons for that license necessarily takes a back
seat to a 'what can I get for this' mentality.

Rhys, has since stated that he is not interested in bargaining like this.
Good for him.

Cheers,

Adam