Re: [DotGNU]FOSE SELinux Panel

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]FOSE SELinux Panel
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 16:49:17 +0100

Tony Stanco <address@hidden> wrote:

> I wanted to inform anyone on this list who is interested that there is a
> SELinux Panel at FOSE in Washington DC, Thursday March 21 between
> 2:45-3:00.  Check at FOSE for room location.

This is really off-topic for this list.  I would like to ask
everyone to use the DotGNU mailing lists only for things that
are in some way related to DotGNU.

> Moderator is:
>
> Tony Stanco, Senior Policy Analyst, Cyberspace Policy Institute, George
> Washington University
>
> About SELinux:
>
> Security-enhanced Linux incorporates into Linux a strong, flexible
> mandatory access control architecture that enables threats to system
> security to be effectively addressed. The NSA's Information Assurance
> Research Group has long been interested in the problems associated with
> creating secure systems. SELinux draws from the results of that
> research.  The release of SELinux to the open source community has
> proven to be an effective strategy for achieving many research and
> technology transfer goals.  However, participation in this community is
> a new endeavor for NSA that has presented a number of challenges that
> needed to be overcome.  This presentation will give an overview of
> SELinux and how its security features enable systems to be configured
> more securely than is currently possible using mainstream operating
> systems. In addition. it will touch upon the benefits, as well as the
> challenges, of the federal government working in the open source
> arena.

In addition to staying on topic, I would like to ask everyone
here to help us wave the banner of free software ethics, by
using the terms "free software" and "GNU/Linux".

For a good explanation of why this is important, please refer
to http://norbert.ch/free-software.html (a transcript of a
recent speech of Richard M. Stallman).

Greetings, Norbert.

--