Re: [DotGNU]"Open source" is not what we do here

From: S11001001
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]"Open source" is not what we do here
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 15:04:49 -0600

I prefer to look at it this way: When you are talking about the SOFTWARE itself, what is produced by the projects, there is no difference. "The term ``open source'' software is used by some people to mean more or less the same thing as free software.", according to http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html. Again, this refers to the product, not the project. In that respect, for many projects, it is quite clear.

However, whether a PROJECT is Free Software or `Open Source' depends on what philosophy that project subscribes to. The GNU Philosophy pages <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/> paint a pretty good picture of the Free Software philosophy, and I think OSI <http://www.opensource.org/> can give the reader some idea of the differences in focus for `Open Source'. Sometimes, however, a project can end up in the gray area between Free Software and `Open Source', whereas there is no difference when dealing with the software itself.

i.e.,

DotGNU is a Free Software PROJECT, producing SOFTWARE that fits both terms.

Mozilla is an `Open Source' PROJECT, producing SOFTWARE that fits both terms.

Sometimes, however, it's easier to refer to the software by whatever term describes its project, because then you get an idea of the philosophy of the people behind the project implicitly. But it's all still Free Software.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

Matthew C. Tedder wrote:
Except that Free Software falls under the Open Source definition perfectly,
so it is a specific kind of Open Source.

--
Eh, that's it, I guess.  No 300 million dollar unveiling event for this
kernel, I'm afraid, but you're still supposed to think of this as the