Re: [DotGNU]PHILOSOPHY file

From: John
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]PHILOSOPHY file
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 18:56:20 -0600

Rhys Weatherley wrote:
> This is something that should be produced by the DotGNU
> Steering Committee (not the CVS committers), with input
> from the community, and placed in a prominent place where
> people can find it when they first come in contact with
> DotGNU.  i.e. the Web site.

I half agree and half disagree.

This much I agree: The form of a PHILOSOPHY file should be handled by
debate and Core group involvement: sent in, sent back, queried, revised,
reiterated, proofread, and perfected, and finally buried in soft peat
for six months and recycled as butane Bics before it goes into anyone's
CVS tree. At that point it should be considered one of those LOCKED in
files. Not subject to change by submitters.

Question is: If the Core Group made one, and the membership submitted it
to debate and decided it expressed the appropriate views; would you (as
a developer) be willing to put it in your distribution of P.net? I'd
probably say yes if this question were asked of FrePort, but then: I
like the idea. It's a good marketting tool.

> Why?  Well, because no matter what contents are placed
> in the file, it is likely to be contentious.  I can easily envison
> dozens of CVS commits a week as the discussion wavers back
> and forth.  And it needs to be kept up to date in multiple
> places: pnet, pnetlib, VRS, and IDsec for starters.

I'd say, put such a document in both places - website and in each
program distributed. Why? Simple. The more places such a document can be
seen, and with the fewest steps required to retreive it; the more likely
it is to be openned and read.

John Le'Brecage.