Re: [DotGNU]InternalCall or: how to call system libs

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]InternalCall or: how to call system libs
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 09:19:34 +1000

Timo --Blazko-- Boewing wrote:

> i have read several documentations from the DotGNU project, but so far i
> have no idea of how to call system libraries.
> Supposed a library is equally available on all platforms (e.g. some GNU
> tools/ports) supported by DotGNU (so, a ".dll" on Win32/64 and a ".so"
> on UN*X :-)), can i do these native system calls directly from a C# lib
> e.g. from System.x.y?

What you are looking for is the PInvoke mechanism,
not InternalCall.  Have a look at the "pnetcurses"
program, distributed on my Web site:

http://www.southern-storm.com.au/portable_net.html

The "src/Native.cs" file provides examples of how to
interface to external .dll/.so files, and how to handle the
icky issue of the .dll/.so files being called different
things on different platforms.

Note: pnet's C# compiler doesn't support all of the
necessary attributes just yet, so it is necessary to
build such programs with Microsoft's compiler, until
such time as I can get attributes working (soon).
Once compiled with Microsoft's compiler, it will run
on pnet's engine just fine.